I’m 16 weeks pregnant and officially in my second trimester! It’s crazy how the last few months have completely dragged on, feeling almost like years, but at the same time it seems impossible that I am already almost half way through this pregnancy! You think I’d be used to the way time messes with you like that as a mom but it still shocks me sometimes. So here’s what’s been going on.
Baby is weighing in at around 3.5 oz and is 4-5 inches long, about the size of an avocado. He/she can now perceive light AND hear my voice! I’m super excited to have reached this point because as I start feeling more and more movement and baby is able to perceive and react to stimuli, it’s like we are beginning to interact and connect in a more concrete way. It’s making me unbelievably anxious for October to come so I can hold this sweet babe in my arms finally.
- Nausea and vomiting: It turns out that the start of the second trimester was not the magic cure to my morning sickness that I was hoping for. Unfortunately I have continued to throw up every morning and battle daily with nausea and food aversions. I had almost forgotten what it felt like to feel normal until this past week when I was blessed with two days in a row of NO nausea or vomiting! Just in time to take care of my toddler dealing with his first bout of throwing up sickness. Thank you universe for giving me those days because let me just say that dealing with another little persons excess bodily fluids while constantly on the verge of puking yourself sounds like absolute hell. Overall though I think the nausea is becoming less severe and I do have large chunks of the day where I feel functional and totally forget about it. Baby steps.
- Skin irritations: Another thing that makes me think I’m almost on the other side of this rough period is that my skin is clearing up! And it happened so fast! Within this past week I’ve had no new blemishes on my chin for the first time in months and what was there has faded away. Some days I might even say I have a tiny bit of a glow! I am still feeling more itchy than I’d like but it doesn’t seem to be quite as bad as it was.
- Sleep: It has been hit or miss lately. I’ve been having the most detailed, tedious dreams about the most random things that I wake from feeling super unrested and I also have to get up to pee a lot. That plus a sick toddler and I have been napping hard in the afternoons this week.
- Appetite: My appetite has almost doubled from where it was all of first trimester! I have yet to gain a single ounce but I don’t think that’s going to last much longer. I am also way more thirsty and able to drink a good amount of water without feeling too queasy so that’s been great.
- Baby movement: It’s happening! I wasn’t sure the first couple of times despite this being my second pregnancy but after some very definite flutters and what even felt like an actual kick the other night, I’m officially calling it. This is my absolute favorite part of pregnancy (isn’t it every woman’s?) and I am stoked because I had an anterior placenta the first time around and didn’t really feel movements until well into the second half of my pregnancy.
- Supplements: I am able to keep down my prenatals much more regularly recently which is nice. I also found out via blood draw at my last midwife appointment that I am a little deficient in iron and vitamin D so I’m taking something for that when I’m feeling well enough also. I use Floradix because it’s food based and doesn’t upset my stomach like regular iron pills do (at least it didn’t last pregnancy, everything upsets my stomach now but it’s slowly getting better).
- I’m still loving salads over here and basically anything light and fresh. Raw veggies with hummus have been super appealing to me lately as well.
- Avocados! I am obsessed with them right now! I eat a half an avocado with my eggs and toast every single morning and am also loving tomato avocado salads, especially with tacos.
- Sauerkraut. I have been going through so many things of kraut the last 2 weeks, I eat it with my meals or as a snack by itself at least once every day. My fave is the Farmhouse Culture garlic dill pickle flavor. SO good!
- Eggs are still one of my main protein sources since I haven’t been feeling like tons of meaty dishes. Egg yolks are one of the best sources of choline which is super important for baby’s brain growth and in preventing neural tube defects so I feel good about eating the exact same thing for breakfast every. single. day. Not sure that my toddler feels the same.
- I’m loving tomatoes either plain with salt or in salads with some cucumber, red onion and apple cider vinegar. Yum!
- I’ve found a chocolate that doesn’t totally upset my stomach when I eat it! Honey Mama’s Lavender Red Rose. Kinda pricey but super rich and fulfilling so I only eat a small piece a day and it’s perfect.
We are getting to a really exciting point in this pregnancy. I have my next midwife appointment in a couple of days and afterward she will be sending over the order for my anatomy scan to the ultrasound place! She said I can schedule it anywhere between 18-22 weeks but as tempting as it is to go in as soon as possible, I’m forcing myself to wait until 20 weeks. I have a bit of anxiety about this ultrasound considering we found out about Lincoln’s CDH during an ultrasound last time so I want to make sure I wait long enough for the tech to be able to get all the measurements necessary. I feel like I wouldn’t be able to keep from freaking out if they told me they weren’t able to see baby’s heart or whatever organ well enough to make sure it looks good and that I would have to come back later on. Plus we will be finding out the gender and it feels like the perfect way to reward myself for making it halfway through so.. 4 more weeks it is. Please send us all your thoughts/prayers/good vibes for a perfect anatomy scan and a healthy, growing baby whether boy or girl. I can’t wait to share the news with everyone in my next update!