I love breakfast! Seriously. Porridge, bacon and eggs, pancakes; I’m there! When I was a teenager I totally scoffed at the idea of starting my day with a big meal, but now that I am more in touch with my body there is no way you are getting me to do anything without a proper breakfast first!
This breakfast casserole recipe is for one of our family’s favorites. It is super tasty and contains a perfect ratio of eggs to meat and veggies that leaves me feeling full and satisfied all the way to lunch. Plus it can be prepped the night before and, depending on the size of your family, saved and reheated for multiple days. Time saving and delicious, I call that a win!
- 1 lb sausage meat (I have used many types from chorizo to chicken sausage and they were all great)
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 bunch kale or your favorite hearty green
- 1 large sweet onion (or yellow if thats what you have)
- 1 carton of eggs (preferably pastured/organic/local)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (I use full fat from a can but you could probably sub other types)
- ghee or other cooking fat
- sea salt and black pepper
How to make:
- De-rib and chop your kale. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Peel and dice your sweet potato. Coat sweet potato chunks in ghee, salt, and pepper then place on a baking sheet and pop in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of ghee to a large skillet over medium heat. Dice your onion and sauté with a few pinches of salt until onions start to soften and turn translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add your sausage, breaking it up into crumbles and allowing it to brown. Cook onions and sausage for another 10-12 minutes.
- Add your chopped kale and allow it to wilt down and mix in with the onions and sausage for another 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer the sausage and veggies into a greased casserole dish. Add baked sweet potatoes and mix well. This is usually the point where I cover and place in the fridge for the next morning.
- Heat oven to 400°
- In a large bowl, whisk together your 12 eggs and the coconut milk, salt, and pepper.
- Pour evenly over the veggie/sausage mixture and place in the oven for about an hour, or until the top is puffy and golden brown.
- Remove from oven, cut into slices, and serve. Any remaining casserole can be placed into the fridge and reheated at 350° for 3o minutes. I recommend placing slices onto a separate baking sheet for this. Enjoy!