I remember the first time I tried Indian food with Joshua and a couple of our friends a few years ago. I wasn’t sure what to expect but I definitely wasn’t expecting to fall in love with it! So many rich flavors and aromas.. So warm and filling and just completely satisfying! And the first meal I tried is still one of my favorites today.
Saag paneer is a delicious creamy cooked spinach dish with cubes of fried Indian cheese (paneer). It is perfect over basmati rice and can be made as spicy as you like. We usually keep it pretty mild these days as I seem to have lost a lot of my tolerance for spice after pregnancy but feel free to play around with it and find what works for your family.
- 2+ tbsp ghee
- About 1/2 lb paneer cheese (I find this at my local co-op but am eager to try making my own soon)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger, peeled
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1 lb spinach
- 1/3 cup heavy cream or full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Optional: cayenne to taste (I usually omit)
- Sea salt
How to make:
- Prep your spinach. You can roughly chop it all by hand, but I would definitely recommend the food processor for this job. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Cut your cheese into bite sized cubes and add to hot skillet, frying until it starts to turn golden. Careful not to let it stick and burn!
- Using a slotted spoon, remove cheese pieces and set aside. Lower the heat to medium.
- Place garlic, ginger, and chile into a food processor with a little bit of water and process into a paste. It does not have to be totally smooth.
- Add your paste into your skillet and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the spinach, salt to taste, and cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Continue to cook the spinach, stirring often, for about 10 more minutes then add your cream, garam masala, and cayenne if using. Mix well.
- Add the cheese back into the skillet, cover, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve over basmati rice. Optional, top with yogurt. Enjoy!